December 6, 2009

weeds.

I grew up reading this book, and ever since I have had a hate for weeds. Not a dislike, but a deep seeded (hear the pun? :) hate for weeds. This little children's book is set in a beautiful little garden where flower people: Rose Petal, Sunny Sunflower, Iris, Orchid, Lily Fair, and Daffodil, live. Each one has their own personality, each one is wonderfully content, each one has their own job in the garden. Everything in this little garden is pleasant and perfect until one day the weeds show up. The weeds are evil, gangly, leafy, and thorny. Their faces express emotions of stress, anger, pain, and, oddly enough, temptation. In the end, the flowers work together to fight of these malicious "creature" plants, and they are victorious!

I loved this story as a child. In fact, I still love this story. I don't think I knew how much it subconsciously impacted me until late in high school; that was when I spotted bright green weeds attacking my family's beloved lemon tree outback. O man, I was so mad! The weeds were sucking the life out of our precious tree! I went out there with craft scissors (what else would you use?) and began to cut. The thorns hurt me, the thorns hurt the tree...I wanted them gone. Unfortunately, the weeds were so badly tangled high up into the tree I don't think I was able to get all of them. The one thing I do remember from this "experience" was that those weeds, as green and vibrant as the made the tree look, were severely killing it. They were preventing the tree from producing fruit and living a full life.

Today in church we talked about the "Parable of the Sower". The part of the parable that most sticks out to me each time I read is the seed that fell among the thorns. Jesus later explains that the seed is the word of God and that the seed that "fell among the thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature" (Luke 8:14). I hate these thorns/weeds- in the lives of people that I know, in my life. These weeds creep up into our lives looking all green and vibrant or pokey and bothersome, and then all of a sudden they choke us, keep us from maturing, keep us from producing fruit; they keep us from true life.

I see myself and others getting caught up in the stuff of this world that either shouldn't consume us with worry because of God's amazing sovereignty (career/job choice, future husband, future opportunities, to some extent-poverty, etc. Matt. 6:25-34) or about things that don't matter (material gain, fame, experiences, etc. Matt. 6:19-21), and I hate it. These weeds/thorns of worry, riches, and pleasures creep up into our lives and not only distract us from our main purpose of glorifying God, but they choke us to death.

The pastor at church offered his interpretation that this parable might have been shared as a message of perseverance for Jesus' followers- a message for Jesus' followers to set roots in good soil, to not be discouraged by those who fall away, and to continue sharing the news to all- those who have ears, will hear. God, help me to hear your message for me. God, help me to share your vibrant message of true life, maturity, and fruit. May we never be enticed, deceived, or choked by the weeds of this world.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to my empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed" (Isaiah 55:11-13). The Word of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephania 3:17

Friends